Ikjyot is a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC #18751) and has a Master of Education in Counselling Psychology from SFU. For the last 10+ years, Ikjyot has worked with children, youth and families in community and academic settings, including KPU, SFU and Capilano University. Ikjyot offers counselling in English, Punjabi and Hindi.
She is skilled at using person-centered, self-compassionate and attachment-based modalities. Ikjyot honors one’s emotions, and the healing power of feeling heard and understood. She values every experience, and story that the individual brings in, and believes in one’s innate power to create changes in their lives. Ikjyot has worked with individuals who have experienced anxiety, depression, grief, life transitions, family/ parent-child conflicts, childhood trauma and sexual abuse. In her work with immigrants, refugees, BIPOC and indigenous clients, Ikjyot provides anti-oppressive, culturally sensitive and safe space for those who have experienced oppression.
Ikjyot recognizes the courage it takes for an individual to start their counselling journey and is humbled to witness the transformation one experiences on this journey. Ikjyot meets each client with respect, warmth, and genuine curiosity. Giving her clients an experience of being seen and heard, without judgements, is the first step Ikjyot takes when she meets her clients in the first session.
Credentials and Professional Training
- Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC# 18751)
- Master of Education in Counselling Psychology, Simon Fraser University
- Emotionally Focused Individual Therapy (EFIT) – Level 1
- The Columbia – Suicide Severity Rating Scale Certificate – The Lighthouse Project
- Telepsychology Best Practices 101: Clinical Evaluation and Care; Cultural Competencies; Documentation, American Psychological Association
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Minor in Counselling, Kwantlen Polytechnic University